Enter your Golfing scares people more than it excites. While getting a feeling to smack the ball out of the park gives a euphoric feeling, the fact that it will miss almost every time provides a sunken one. This is the reason for the inception, emergence, and popularization of golf rangefinder. It caters to every category of golfers: from novice to professional to expert needs to better their swing level. It offers a breakdown of critical features to solve this problem. Starting with a clear display, better yardage measurement, longer distance to a long-lasting outlook, it provides a framework that will allow a user to get the utmost golfing experience with smart work rather than hard work. Here are the reviews of the 10 best golf rangefinder of 2020. After explaining all the features, a guideline to what features to utilize, how, when and where to utilize is given as not every specification is permissible to use everywhere.
Reviews of 10 Best Golf Rangefinder
1. Nikon coolshot 20 golf laser rangefinder
When it comes to Nikon, the first thing that transpires our mind is a camera. As the years progressed, they diversified their portfolio to golf rangers, keeping the concept of lenses intact. If users are exploring inexpensive golf range finders that may not deliver much in style but in substance, then they see the right product. From this product, they will expect a clean and simple device, which doesn’t have a bunch of bells and whistles at a reasonable price.
- Like all the golf rangefinders, Nikon has its own niche: it measures a range of 6-550 yards within a reading of one yard, courtesy of 6x zoom. Weighing just about 125 grams, this sleek and dainty device can be held comfortably with one hand. Having such a portable device is a benefit, not many of such devices possess.
- Another key feature consisted of having no slope and function for one specific activity: measuring distance.
- Durability is another metric of substances that the Nikon coolshot 20 golf laser rangefinder scores high on. According to numerous rumored tests, it has been compared with other flagship rangefinders, and the level of accuracy it possesses is strikingly similar.
- Unlike most rangefinders of such caliber, the exterior of this one is sturdy, and less likely to be broken while tossing around.
- It offers a pretty good yardstick when compared to other flagship models.
- Delicate devices like this need to be safeguarded from any mishaps, hence Nikon Coolshot comes with a case to protect from potential hazards while carrying around, via bags and case.
Cons with Solutions
One thing that it isn’t capable of is fast, like the more expensive ones when it comes to locking the targets. But users should have second thoughts regarding going to spend much more to fulfill such objectives? The answer is no as the accuracy carries the highest weight. While other flagship models offer more bells and whistles, the features to price ratio are really high, making Nikon coolshot 20 golf laser rangefinder a marvelous device to possess for passionate golfers.
2. Garmin Approach Z80
When it comes to rangefinders, Garmin Approach doesn’t just synonymize brands. Like Xerox, Honda, Garmin is equivalent to the most aesthetic golf GPS, and Z80 isn’t any exception. This powerhouse has all the features needed to be a flagship GPS rangefinder, where quality is much more emphasized than quantity. It is naturally one of the most expensive rangefinders, so the first impression any user would have is it better be of supreme quality with the kind of price tag it possesses.
- [GARMIN APPROACH Z80] - Garmin Approach Z80 Rangefinder with GPS, Carrying Case & USB Charging...
- [PLAYBETTER BUNDLE] - PlayBetter Portable USB Charger (Two Full Approach Z80 charges) &...
- [HYBRID LASER & GPS RANGEFINDER + FULL COLOR OVERLAY] - Place your eye on the viewfinder, in...
- [PLAYSLIKE DISTANCE, IMAGE STABILIZATION + TOURNEY LEGAL] - Adjusts distance readings based on...
- To answer the query mentioned in the previous paragraph, Garmin Z80 is actually a deluxe model, as it’s the first rangefinder to not only use a laser to find the distance.
- Also, it offers the users a 2D image of the hole with the distances mapped out. Overall it will show everything the users want and demand to enhance their golfing experience and performance.
- It will display a virtual map showing the distance to the target and front, back, and center of the green.
- Garmin Z80 offers a surreal visual experience courtesy of its virtual map feature that offers different distances to various parts of the maps.
- Now measuring the performance, the idea of a rangefinder being hybrid sounds fanciful yet effective.
- Garmin Approach Z80 gives that premium feel. From being extremely accurate to offering information about yardages and hazards, this monster is the perfect arsenal to carry for golfing war.
Cons with Solutions
- Users may need a little acclimatization, but they will eventually get their courtesy of the ease of use and accuracy.
- Despite the premium features, it doesn’t serve the purpose of everyone. If they are someone who fervently plays golf and wouldn’t sweat on the budget, this is one of the most aesthetic GPS devices to possess. Otherwise, there should be no bothering about willing to buy this. While it gives them the precision and the unique features of rangefinder and GPS, it has a lower target range of 350 yards. What they lack a bit in quantity, they make it up in quality with utmost accuracy and user-friendliness. While being an exorbitant rangefinder that takes a bit of time to adjust, the Garmin Approach Z80 makes the cons inconsequential.
3. Leupold Gx 5i3 Golf Rangefinder
When it comes to finding a comprehensive rangefinder, very few possess the necessary finesse than Leupold Gx5i3. The price is on the upper side, which should not be termed as a drawback considering it serves everything that a premium GPS should. After unboxing the case, the users will find a stunning device that is easy to grip.
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Leupold GX-5i3 Golf Laser Rangefinder, Carrying Case, PlayBetter Microfiber...
- 6X MAGNIFICATION - Utilizing Leupold’s high performance DNA (Digitally eNhanced Accuracy) the...
- TRUE GOLF RANGE (SLOPE) & CLUB SELECTOR - Featuring TGR (slope functionality) and Club...
- PINHUNTER 3 & PRISM LOCK TECHNOLOGY - The key to fast, accurate ranging is the ability to lock...
- It has a Pin Hunter 3 Laser Technology, a feature that allows users an accurate distancing of golfing.
- The maximum range it measures is 800 yards, with the optimum precision distance being 450 yards.
- They get the rangefinder alongside a CR2 lithium battery, which is hard to find externally.
- A neck strap that users can wear to golf courses, provided if carrying the device becomes tedious.
- Prism Lock Technology and six times magnification red display for precise vision.
- It is one of the fewest rangefinders that can be used in any golfing tournaments without being worried about the legal aspects, as it complies with USGA rules.
- The Pin Hunter 3 Laser Technology enables us to look faster on the target and nullifies any error of measurement one makes while judging all the aspects manually.
- The range level is jaw-dropping, which is another advantage.
- The CR2 lithium battery makes it highly durable.
- One of the most significant standout features of this machine is Prism Lock Technology that brings the accuracy to the next level, with a feeling that users are carrying a rifle. It gives a soothing sound when connecting with the target, and once the latter is achieved, the confidence they would get is unparalleled.
- Only the most premium rangefinders possess the niche to view all the sides of the golf course, and Leupold Gx5i3 is one. It offers a six times magnification red display that gives the user a monitor to see the entire course. This helps their game massively. The best part about the display is it offers consistent clarity of vision, even in low lights.
Cons with Solutions
The only drawback with this beast is the price, but Leupold Gx 5i3 has every feature that professional golfers would drool for. There is one feature that makes the price an absolute worthwhile. It comes with a two-year warranty, with unique features that are legally acceptable and an impeccable after-sales service, professional golfers may go past the pricing issue to enjoy a surreal golfing experience.
4. GolfBuddy LR7
GolfBuddy, like the name itself, is golfer’s best friend in two ways: offering premium golfing experience, and give maximum utility with minimum price. The LR7 Rangefinder is of a latter category. The features are pleasantly high, with the price being a bargain. What does the LR7 Rangefinder offer that makes users strive to buy? GolfBuddy has done one thing right by producing the masterpiece LR7 Rangefinder. Not only it offers features that can compete against most flagship ones, at a price that is affordable enough to attract novices to semi-pro golfers, but its versatile accuracy also helps other sports users to consider buying the device. GolfBuddy may actually a friend to all sports lovers that need targets to achieve perfection.
- Pin finder with vibration ; 4 targeting modes (Standard, Scan, Pin, Pin Finder) ; Legal for...
- Standard mode: Provides distance to the target ; Scan mode: Continuously scans for 10 seconds...
- Accuracy +/- 1 yard ; Distance mode (meters/yards)
- Ergonomic body design ; Battery life: 3,000-5,000 actuations ; Water-resistant ; Automatic...
- It has an Auto-Shutoff feature, which protects against overuse of batter and offers long-lasting performance.
- Firstly it offers a snazzy outlook. Weighing just less than eight-ounce, it ticks the box of being lightweight. On top of that, there are finger shapes at the top of the gear that makes it even easier for users to position their gripping.
- With a maximum distance range of almost 900 yards with four multifaceted modes, the LR7 Rangefinder is also a quite nifty tool for other sports like hunting.
- The visual experience doesn’t end with modes like standard, scan, pin, and pin finder; it offers a six times magnification with a 23mm objective lens. These alongside and multi-coated optics in its LED offers crystal clear display.
- While the product itself and the name of the brand symbolize golf, this unique feature attracts even the non-golfers through having four different speed modes.
- A pocket-sized dynamo that doesn't cause friction to their palms.
- Having a vibration once the targets are locked gives users a focused feeling to aim at.
- When it comes to maintenance, the LR7 rangefinder is one of the most durable ones. Water and technology are a yin and yang in a negative manner, but not this one, as it is fully resistant to the water.
- With one year warranty, the users can expect good after-sales service. The best part is that it's self-sufficient as it shuts off automatically after 10 seconds of inactivity.
Cons with Solution
There is absolutely no idea whether it has any drawbacks. However, the user must be careful about the water-resistant feature and not try over experimenting with it.
5. SereneLife Premium Golf Laser Rangefinder with Pinsensor
When it comes to the word premium, skepticism occurs for a lot of potential buyers, as many of them walk out due to not affording the price. This is simply not the case of SereneLife Premium Golf Laser Rangefinder. It has everything that a golfer would drool for without killing the wallet. Many innovative features make it attractive, from the looks to the performance, and with such innovation can be afforded, who wouldn’t love to buy?
- Built with ABS that offers an unbreakable exterior.
- It has Pinsensor technology that offers standard range yet premium accuracy. With the maximum distance measurement up to 540 meters. It is deemed satisfactory for most golfers to identify the sticks and yardages.
- It measures the availability and measurement of slopes in the golf court, giving golfers the perfect tool to measure.
- Six times magnification with manual focus lenses.
- The size of SereneLife Premium Golf Rangefinder is compact enough, and with the device coated with grip, it makes the user very comfortable to carry around. In addition, it is as sturdy as Teflon, courtesy of being manufactured with ABS, making the users stop worrying about breaking down.
- What stands alone from any of the other range finders is its accuracy. Maintaining the distance while considering the elevation is as precise as finding an economy’s real GDP. While other rangefinders offer statistically ideal distance, SereneLife Premium Laser Rangefinder gives the actual measurement as by including the slopes, the golfers not only know where to hit but how much power to give.
- Most modern rangefinders offer six times magnification to offer crystal clear reading, and SereneLife Premium Golf Laser Rangefinder is nothing different. The only distinction is it offers manual focus lenses that offer the perfect zooming, once adjusted.
Cons with Solutions
One small aspect that can bring skepticism is that it isn’t completely waterproof. However, with just one issue that this beast possesses, aspiring golfers may have found the perfect GPS device that can guide them to proper golfing.
6. Bushnell Pro XE
main event. For golfers, there is probably one company that caters them to provide the ultimate golfing consummation. Bushnell Pro XE Golf Laser Rangefinder is currently one of their best products that they have ever released. Why has such a premium golfing GPS brand managed to deliver even higher than their standards? Firstly it helps the golfers to enhance their level of accuracy, with its special patented slope technology. Secondly, it is extremely minute in size yet has numerous specialties, such as being waterproof.
An ideal golf rangefinder is the one that doesn’t show the most number of tracks, rather than how precise the tracks are mapped, and that will only materialize if the right slopes and elevation measurements are offered. This is exactly what this beast does. It even shows various terrains: such feature enhances golfer’s strategy and vision to reach their ultimate target.
- IN THE BOX: Bushnell PRO XE Advanced Laser Golf Rangefinder, Carrying Case, Carabiner, Lens...
- Slope with Elements
- Pin Seeker with Visual JOLT Technolog
- Built-In BITE Magnetic Cart Mount
- Patented Sloped Technology: This technology allows the user to measure all slopes and elevations before preparing the right shot.
- Display: With just 11oz of size, Bushnell Pro XE has an advanced backlight display for golfers to play on low lighting courses. The Battery is Built with 2.3 Volt Lithium Battery: this is fully waterproof, and also it has Bluetooth.
- Range: This beast covers the distance to up to 1300 yards, desirable for professional golfers.
- Slope-Switch Technology: This technology helps golfers to have the desired buttons closer to their palms. Through this, the use can toggle all of its features.
- The built-in BITE magnetic mount enables the user to position this device to their cart. Keeping such a petite device on their handle prevents them from feeling nuisance about carrying it separately.
- Completely Waterproof: Being a device fully waterproof helps the user to experiment on adverse golfing conditions, without the need to worry about their watch being vulnerable.
- Premium Quality Batteries: Built with CR2 Lithium Batteries, Bushnell Pro XE can offer maximum performance with lower drainage and higher stamina.
- Enhanced Backlight Display: Not every day, Mother Nature will be kind enough by offering clear sunlight. When such a day occurs, then users of this device will have little to bother, as these features enable them to see the distance better.
- All the technologies are cumulatively designed to reduced any second-guessing golfers have as it shows the exact slope and elevation measurements.
Cons with Solutions
There are users that have reportedly shown to have focus issues with this product as it has a lot of unique features such issues aren’t uncommon. The best course of action is to learn how to maintain the gear through the user manual and YouTube guide.
7. precision pro nx7
Unlike Bushnell, Precision is a company that doesn’t ooze the brand value for golfers. However, that doesn’t stop them for providing a rangefinder of substance and style at affordable pricing. We can’t completely blame them, as they are specialized in higher-performing, lower pricing gear, they have to make some external thing appalling, such as their package. But does it matter as long as the product delivers as advertised? The two biggest metrics of an extraordinary rangefinder is the feature and ergonomics, and both are on par with any of their biggest competitors. It has all the features that can make users compromise the not-so-well made design. Below an elucidation of their high quality is given.
- PRO SLOPE GOLF RANGEFINDER: The Precision Pro Golf NX7 Pro Slope has been engineered to provide...
- ADAPTIVE SLOPE TECHNOLOGY: Our NX7 Pro Slope golf laser rangefinder is infused with Pro Slope...
- CLEAR, QUICK, PRECISE: Built with crystal clear optics, 6X magnification, and precise...
- 400 YARD RANGE: This golf rangefinder has a 400-yard range capacity, is water-resistant,...
You may be interested in reading: Precision pro golf nexus laser rangefinder
- Target Locked in Perfection: The Adaptive Slope and the Pulse Violation technology are tag team champions when it comes to offering the golfers the perfect target. The former feature helps the golfers to measure the elevation and the slope to acquire the authentic data, whereas the latter offer gives a pulsating feeling when the target is locked. The pulse that they offer gives ultimate satisfaction, with the added feature of Precision Pro Target Acquisition.
- Target ‘TAG-ged’: The TAG Function allows scanning the target as crystal clear as the eyes of a hawk. It scans the target thoroughly and automatically locks after finding the target.
- Power Mode: It has a power button that switches on the device and has a mode button that changes slope and slope modes back and forth.
- Optics: It possesses a six times magnification that correctly targets yardages of 350 yards.
- Fully Automatic: The most significant advantage of having Precision Pro Golf NX7 is that it requires no human input when it comes to locking targets. All they need to be open the rangefinder and let the TAG function do the rest.
- Lightweight:- Precision has done one thing right in making this latest device more compact, and consequently more portable. Having such a petite device makes the golfer feel relieved about having to carrying the device separately.
- Great Value of Money: A lot of rangefinders offer full marks in ergonomics. Such performances come with a hefty price tag, no this latest precision gadget. If they get a similar sturdiness and performance by paying a considerably less amount of money, they will not refuse such an opportunity.
- Precision offers the best after-sales service of their product. As a potential user, they will get a lifetime battery replacement, should they need one, alongside a generic two-year warranty.
Cons with Solutions
The only drawback it possesses is the quality of the optics and the pulse. But users need to pay a substantial amount to get that extra mileage. One must understand there are two versions, NX7, and NX7 pro. This is a review about the latter, and the features mentioned in this point are of NX7 pro. Therefore users shouldn’t mistakenly by the former as they won’t get these facilities.
8. Bushnell Tour V4
Everyone has this buddy, where they offer unconditional support, the catalyst for bouncing back in the future. That’s what Bushnell Tour V4 JOLT Golf Laser Rangefinder did to their company. It was produced at a time when Bushnell was lagging behind from other competitors, in the form of creativity, durability, and utmost performance. They needed to step up or step out, and they did the former engineering this masterpiece. What exactly made this stand out from the rest? Quite simply everything, starting from the looks, to the range to the sloping, ever features took a mass upgrade for the company to reclaim their rangefinder perch.
- Design: Bushnell Tour V4 is super lightweight comparing to its predecessors and most of its successors. Weighing just under seven ounces, it looks sporty, diminutive, and can fit into anywhere. It is an upgrade to its predecessor V3, with over 30 percent reduction of weight. This sporty looking rangefinder doesn’t just stick to style but also offers relentless accuracy.
- PinSeeker Technology with Jolt Technology: Skepticism runs in the vein of golfers when measuring the target and latter aiming for it. The PinSeeker Technology of traditional Bushnell device with the addition of JOLT serves to solve that. This AI measures all the slopes and other important yardage factors and gives users the confidence needed to go for the home run.
- Range: The V4 JOLT Golf Laser Rangefinder is probably one of the rarest devices that measure the distance up to 1000 yards overall, and 400 to the flag.
- Tour V4 Shift: This feature assists the user in adjusting features continuously on the basis of the match.
- Stabi-Grap Technology: With this feature, users can use it with one hand.
- Full Marks on Ergonomics: Being significantly lighter than the previous model and equipped with the latest technology, makes V4 Jolt a hassle-free rangefinder to carry.
- Long Ranger: The range this beast offers is equivalent to the most accurate long-range footballer. The yardages range up to 1000 yards with 1-yard accuracy. It also specifically caters to the flag distance with a maximum of 400 yards.
- Tournament Legal: While many golf rangefinders have features irresistible to refuse, they are illegal to carry during games, not this one. Having features that are ideal for professionals yet a great learning tool for amateurs is a blessing to have where there are no legal implications.
Cons with Solutions
It only offers five times magnification to the standard rangefinders that offer 6x-7x, making zooming capacity limited. But Bushnell compensated the lower zoom with faster focus, which offers a clearer view comparing to many counterparts.
9. Leupold gx 3i2
The Leupold GX-3i2 Digital Golf Rangefinder has all the features that a standard GPS finder should have: from PinHuster Laser Technology, and other unique features. Despite that, it does offer its own niche based on structure and performance. It looks glamorous on the outside, compact to carry. The optics offer crystal clear view and is not vulnerable to scratches. While PinHunter and Prism Lock technology is the benchmark of a proper rangefinder, Leupold offers an avant-garde one, as it measures the target despite the way it is positioned by human hands. Glaring outlook with stunning performance is equivalent to Leupold’s new masterpiece, GX-3i2 rangefinder.
- Equipped with revolutionary DNA Technology and a vivid OLED display
- Featuring an incredibly compact aluminum body, the GX-3i defines rugged
- The GX-3i is USGA 14-3 compliant, offering line-of-sight distance measurement only.
- OLED Display: The display of this rangefinder is OLED, aka Organic LED. These features offer crystal clear display by showing the course onto the device’s state of the art optics.
- Battery: The battery level is shown every time to assess users’ optimum utilization of GX-3i2 rangefinder. It has an Auto-Power option that shuts it off seconds after inactivity.
- DNA: While DNA is fundamental for human survival, it is also essential for this beast’s immaculate level of accuracy. Digitally Enhanced Accuracy (DNA) automatically allows for enhancing it.
- Pin Hunter 2: An upgraded version of Pin Hunter that allows user to negate background photos while focusing solely on the target.
- Range: The maximum range this flagship Leupold offers is 450 yards. It can be zoomed big, courtesy of six times magnification
- USGA Legal: Not all the rangefinders with premium features are allowed to be used for golfing matches due to legal restrictions. Thankfully, the users don’t need to worry about this as it adheres to the United States Golfing Association rules and regulations.
- Aerospace Grade Aluminum: Aluminum is not always considered the strongest material, but Leupold GX-3i2, offers the premium ones, that makes it really sturdy and durable.
- Offers complete focus: Golfing, like any sport offers, requires unprecedented focus, especially long-range shots, and any distractions are fatal. The Pin Hunter 2 technology allows exactly that by removing background images that hinder their concentration.
- Longer Battery Life: While the battery of this device is made with a standard lithium one, the Auto Power option automatically shuts it off a few seconds after the operation ends.
When a rangefinder offers everything in one device, the generic drawback is it’s expensive. While it is definitely on the pricier side, on the value perspective it offers more than the price. What it offers best is the intact addiction of golfer’s activity once they choose to use this beast.
10. Bozily Golf Rangefinder
Rangefinders that offer longer battery life, better accuracy relevant features, compact style, and longer yardages are considered to be a muscular, if not a stalwart one. Bozily Golf Rangefinders distinguish from the rest as being smart as well. While it’s compact size is analogous to a smartphone, having a USB charging port makes them paralleled to a smart device. It might be debatable to have more wow factor than the previous nine models, but having this particular feature in-store, the user will not have to adjust the operation based on the battery level. They can charge anytime at anywhere. A golfer with Bozily will have more edge than the ones with other rangefinders because charging the device will not be any sort of concern.
- 【Excellent Golf Rangefinder】High-definition camera, 6X Magnification, 7 degree field angle,...
- 【2 Scan Modes】 Mode 1(Continuous Scan) is tournament legal; Mode 2(slope distance + angle +...
- 【Design】Dimension, 107*74*42mm, portable size, ergonomic design and normally...
- 【Accuracy】Accurate out to 1200 yards, Digitally eNhanced Accuracy. Personally testing this...
- USB Charging: A charging system that doesn’t need to change batteries continuously. In addition, it is already built-in with a CR2-3V battery, a stronger one for a strong golf rangefinder.
- Accuracy: It is a rangefinder for long-distance with maximum yardage limit is of 1200 yards, with a +- 1-yard accuracy.
- Multiple modes: It has four scan modes, which caters for practice and tournament differently. Users will use Mode 2 for training and Mode 1 for the tournament. One of the most eye-catching modes is the vertical modes for assessing the vertical and horizontal sides of the course.
- Warranty: Users can return the product within a month after their first usage if they are not satisfied with the product and will be eligible for a refund if there is any fault.
- It offers zooming magnification to six times, helping them to focus on targets.
- Ergonomic and Portable: Being a sporty rangefinder with a size of a mobile phone, this Bozily product offers durability and carrying to a different ease
- Multiple modes: A golfer always have to focus on a number of aspects in order to achieve perfection, be it speed, distance, straight line or angular. This masterpiece offers them all to focus on all aspects of training in order to bring it into real matches. Having four modes make it achievable.
- Waterproof and Fog Resistant: Unlike most rangefinder, it is water and fog proof, meaning neither the weather and the water will win the battle against them.
- The fast lock target options allow quick target locking. When such products act decisive, it helps the user to follow suit.
Cons with Solutions
While the USB charger is an attractive tool to use, it does require longer minutes of charging. Users shouldn’t take any liberties for keeping the battery half empty, simply because it can be charged anytime, anywhere. As the duration of the battery is lower than a lot of other rangefinders, keeping a full charge before training and matches is a good habit
Complete Buying Guide For Golf Range Finders
What is a Golf Rangefinder?
A rangefinder is defined as a gadget that measures the distance from the ranger to the target. Rangefinders are ideal for four applications, and golfing is one of them. A golf rangefinder is a device that measures golfing activities, from obtaining yardages, to measure the distance of the flag to aim. All it does is find the target and sets it up
How Does a Golf Range Finder Work?
Both of the golf rangefinders helps to target and measure the distance and time taken to reach there. However, the approach is different.
There are about three procedures that rangefinders assist golfers,
i) Laser Emission: A laser is released that bounces off the target that the observer, in this case, a golfer is aiming.
ii) Time Measurement: After identifying the target, the rangefinder detects the time needed for the golfers to reach the target
iii) Utilize Information: Lastly, the rangefinder uses the information to measure the distance.
Unlike the laser rangefinder, GPS one is already preloaded with maps, all they need is a satellite. However, the latter is a must for GPS to work. Otherwise, it will be futile. Unlike the laser, a lot of GPS rangefinders don’t have the features to detect slope; they generally just measure the distance.
Why Should I Use a Rangefinder In Golf?
For the past decade, the rangefinder has been a must too to buy, especially for golfing. Firstly golf is a demanding sport when it comes to shooting extended areas with slopes. Gone are the days when people used to think long and hard about measuring and play accordingly. A rangefinder reduces half of the golfer’s job as they measure the accuracy on their behalf.
Learn Your Club Ranges
For a golfer, one needs to comprehend how far they have to hit the clubs, aka golf distances. The answer varies to a lot of metrics, aka conditions, golf balls, and clubs. S/he needs to test their iron distance; only then can they understand their right level of distance.
Both the laser and GPS rangefinder enables you to learn golf courses, while the latter has given a number of courses that can be used to learn the distance, the former enables them to understand it thoroughly as it adjusts the elevations and the slopes.
Lower Scores and Build Confidence
Being a long hitter enables you to earn lower scores is purely a myth. The best way to understand that is by practice. Rangefinder gives golfers the tool to learn, practice, and strategize to boost confidence by showing information and distances about the clubs and yardages, respectively.
Speed Up Play
As rangefinders give you the time and distance, especially the laser, golfers need to swing first to understand their speed range. If the swing speed is deemed low, they will eventually acclimatize to get the desired speed.
What to look for in a range finder?
Pin Sensor Technology is the best one to give golfers an immaculate level of accuracy. One of the most crucial features that derive accuracy is the optics, followed by Pin Sensor Technology and LED lights.
2. Ease of use
Traditionally ease of use of a device like a rangefinder depended on how easy it was for golfers to carry the device. Higher portability meant, they would have seamlessly carried it on their golf course or other places that needed no external support. As the rangefinders have evolved creatively, so are the factors of usage ease, such as battery life, magnification and focus performance, and most importantly, how many features can be performed using the least number of buttons.
3. Distance Range
Golfing rangefinders offer distances of two sorts: distance from the player to the target, and distances to the flag. In such cases rangefinders that offer a minimum 1000 yards with no less than 400 yards, flag distance are deemed standard.
No rangefinders are worth in four digits, but the price range of entry-level ones to the flagship ones are a few hundred extra dollars. However, understanding how much value a rangefinder offer is essential than checking the numbers. There are many of them that provide extremely good value for money. For golfers, it’s all about preference, how much value they will generate from their golfing experience, and whether the most extravagant one offers the biggest benefit.
5 Battery life
While battery life is essential, it isn’t the most crucial factor to look for the right rangefinder. Golfing is a long sport, and having a longer battery life will make coursing easier. However, rangefinders are often illegal; therefore, using every time makes them over-reliant on the gadget. CR2 lithium batteries are the minimum standard when finding rangefinders of the right battery. More than power, the best feature to boost battery life is the Auto-Shut feature, where this beast can automatically switch off moments after being unused. Instead of finding a bigger battery life, users must buy those that have this feature.
6. Water Proof
Water Proof may not always be a mandatory feature a few years back, but such a novelty has become a necessity as time passed by, Golfers do not necessarily play under a sunny sky, and when they play under unfavorable circumstances, their rangefinder is vulnerable to damages when contacted with water. Having a water-proof device saves them for maintenance and damage as they invest in hundreds of dollars to buy the perfect ones that offer a unique golfing experience. Fog Resistant is another relevant feature that will be permanent in the near future.
7. Display Technology
When it comes to displaying, it can be categorized into two aspects: style and substance. The former involves how they show the information, whereas the latter is what information they are shown. The Display Technology, measures the distance of a shot when it comes to a GPS rangefinder, but for a laser one, it transcends beyond that. Their display technology shows the slopes, adjusts the elevation, and locks the target accordingly.
8. Slope Measurement Capabilities
Not all rangefinders are equipped to measure slopes. Only those that have scan models take into consideration the slope to hit the target. Having an eye relief in such gadgets allows for better slope calculation.
9. Storage and Looks
A rangefinder looks like binoculars that have a function of a camera. It can be coated with black, blue and any other color of rubber. Maintaining in the form of storage is as critical as choosing the right one to buy. For starter, users must avoid their gadgets to have close proximity with sunlight, dust, and places where the weather changed drastically. The lenses have to clean every now and then, If you plan to keep it inactive for longer periods of time, please remove the batteries or they will drain faster. Most importantly, buy a perfect carrying case, to assure proper guarding against heat and impact. Look for those that offer a built-in carry case, if you find a number of rangefinders that caters your choice
Are Golf Rangefinders Worth The Money?
The answer is a resounding yes, only if golfing is your active hobby, at the very least. From offering accurate yardages, to provide club data, and calculating hazard yardages, these features are enough for users to spend money on rangefinders. But if golfing is something they don’t play often, then this is not for them. The final verdict is rangefinders have everything to lower the scores in golf.
Do I Need Slope Technology?
This is the answer that will solve a big headache for users. Slope Technology allows measuring the change in elevation that a non-slope technology doesn’t offer, For someone who plays golf frequently and has a discrepancy of sloping, rangefinders with such technologies give a different dimension to my performance. So if you are a tournament player, which follows USGA rules, maybe it’s not the ideal tool to have, but it is highly recommended to buy rangefinders of such technology that it helps them to play awkward golf courses seamlessly.
Are Rangefinders Legal?
The sad news is it’s illegal to use golf tournaments, hence should you avoid buying one that offers such game-changing features? No, as you can actually use rangefinders of such category for tournaments, but you need to disable this feature. A lot of good laser rangefinders offer this feature, and if as a professional golfer who needs extensive training, to up their game, find it, blindly choose it.
Golf Rangefinders vs GPS Golf Watch
Each of them triumphs another in a number of metrics. Rangefinders offer precise data for each and every shot that the users will take; every information is automatic. The GPS, on the other hand, will just show them the overall distance, needing the user to adjust the target manually. More than that, the accuracy of the former far escalates than the pocket device. Most importantly, rangefinders can update the change, of course automatically, whereas the golf watch has a predominated view.
GPS Golf Watch is better when there are adverse weather conditions, where it is impossible to frequently hold the rangefinder to measure shots. Unlike the latter, GPS golf watch offers bird's eye view to measure the distance of unknown golf courses with precision.
Expensive vs Best Budget Golf Rangefinders
The rangefinders that offer a lot of flagship features at an entry-level price are considered the best budget golf rangers. It can be ideal for amateurs and semi-professionals, but if you are a golf star, anything but the most premium ones will slow your progress. The problem with budget rangefinders is that the shot hits nearer to the tree of the flag, rather than an actual flag.
The best golf rangefinder may not necessarily have to be an expensive option. Still, the reason it offers more, as professional players can afford to buy it, it is solely catered for professionals, in terms of offering reliability for going to the distance with precision, while being easy to use.
For more information about Best Golf Bags Reviews in 2020
Slope VS No Slope Rangefinders
The only difference between these two is calculating distances. Slope rangefinders calculate with more precision as they consider many aspects, such as elevations, whereas no slope ones just offer the correct distance. This is why it is illegal for tournaments. Understanding the purpose of using is essential. No amount of fancy slope technology will allow you to use it in tournaments unless you are willing to get disqualified. So understanding that is essential before deciding whether to pay extra money for this feature.
What are the Disqualifying Features?
The disqualifying features of rangefinders mean they are simply not allowed to use it on tournaments. Otherwise, they will face auto expulsion. These are slope compensation, choosing clubs, measuring elevated distance, which would give an unfair advantage by using the slope technology, barometer, and other features of measurement that can significantly impact the play. For non tournament players, there should be no problem other than getting accustomed to slope features and suddenly decided to participate in a tournament.
Laser Rangefinder vs GPS for Golf?
Both of these golfing equipment will take the golfing experience to a surreal level. GPS offers general distance and tracking the shots, whereas the laser gives utmost accuracy with better features and indoor and outdoor performance. Overall, a laser rangefinder is a better tool to have, even though it doesn’t actually show how far it has been hit.
Frequently Ask Question
What are the key characteristics I should look for when buying a rangefinder?
The metrics needed to determine the rangefinder are as follows:
- Distance: The ones that offer over 1000 yards of distance is a minimum requirement.
- Magnification: The ideal zooming size of a golf rangefinder is six times magnification. Anything below that is the cause of users being indecisive.
- Reticle: Target the object and let the laser beam finds it for you.
- Long Range Shooting: Instead of maximum distance offered, how much distance is shown with accurate readings is essential. The benchmark is above 400 yards.
- Size: Despite its heavy feature, the size has to be fit in hand properly like a camcorder.
- Display must have scan modes for constant ranging.
How do I use a rangefinder on the golf course or driving range?
- The first thing to do is to find the target.
- Then position your rangefinder to the target.
- Activate the device to get the information of the distance.
Are rangefinders allowed by the rules of golf?
There are features in some rangefinders. These are prohibited from being used in tournaments, such as slope technology and any other measurements that give an unfair advantage. But as a golfer, you can still use rangefinders to the tournament, if you can allow switching off such features.
Should I buy a rangefinder with slope calculation?
f you are a professional golfer who plays on tournaments generously, you are recommended not to buy one that has slope calculation. But some offers slope on and off calculation, and purchasing that is an asset over liability
Should I opt for a laser rangefinder or is a GPS unit better?
Firstly you must find your purpose as a golfer. If you are an inexperienced golfer, then it's better to have a GPS unit, as it offers preloaded courses and, most importantly, calculate the distances you have reached, whereas the laser rangefinder only shows the distance needed to hit. But after you have reached a certain level of competence, buying a laser rangefinder is preferable as it ups your accuracy level.
Can golf rangefinders help in sloped areas?
With the features it possesses, GPS golf rangefinder doesn't offer the accuracy needed in slope areas. But what it doesn't fail to show is the progress. Reaching the target always depends on your golf swing. At the same time, laser rangefinder supports you on paper, it's only you that will know the best-golfing clubs and hits, irrespective of having any rangefinders. In theory, it does enhance your accuracy by adjusting the slope in practice; however, it depends while playing golf as a training, as it is prohibited to use in tournaments.
Can I use lithium batteries?
Almost all of the rangefinders use lithium batteries: CR2 and CR123A. As golf rangefinders need to be powered every time during the play, the best suggestion would be to buy it on bulk, so that it can be replaced, once drained.
What is the color of the display?
There are two display colors that are shown in rangefinders: black and red. Red is the color that I strongly not recommend, as it is hard to see, especially on unfavorable climate.
Can I turn off the slope feature?
The answer is you can do that very quickly. Go to the ‘mode operation’ in the button section of the device; you will find the option ‘no slope.’ Press and release to turn off the slope and voila you are ready. While the options are different in each device, the process is similar.
What is the warranty period?
Warranty is a subtle feature, and the more companies’ cash on this, the better brand value one generates. The minimum warranty time offered is two years, whereas Nikon offers a maximum of five years. The warranty includes replacing defects, workmanship, starting from the date of purchase.
When reading slope can I switch between yards and meters?
Yes, in every rangefinder you can change the direction units back and forth yards to meters and vice versa.
Does the slope works with any target or it just only work when pointing to the flag?
The slope works with any target, all the user needs to do is hover the circle on them and the rangefinder will detect it and lock it by giving vibrations.
Is the product comes with a case?
While all rangefinders come with a package, not every company offers casing facilities, especially for budget ones. Therefore, if you are buying one, and doesn’t offer to package, spending a few extra dollars will give you the casing.Who is the manufacturer of the product?
While there are many companies that manufacture rangefinders, only a handful offers golfing experience. Bushnell, GolfBuddy and Leupold are the key oligopolists, closely followed by Nikon, Garmin and Precision.
What is the size and weight of the product?
In hindsight, the size of rangefinders ranges between 200 grams to 2kgs. I always recommend to buy as lightweight as possible, as the last thing you, as a golfer will do is to be burdened carrying a device and cramp more space into your golfing kit.
The size is measured in dimensions, that starts from under 15 inches cube to over 80.Are the batteries included with the device?
All rangefinders offer built in lithium batteries or a case of battery, therefore buying it externally isn’t necessary at all.
Does it have automatic shut off feature to reserve battery?
Automatic shut-off or Auto Shut-Off feature is a subtle trait, few rangefinders offer, if you find one, than kudos to you, otherwise, better to buy a bulk of reserve batteries.
Is it water proof?
Some of the rangefinders have waterproof features. While a lot of them are bringing this option, it hasn’t been a mandatory feature as of yet.
How much time do a fully charged battery last on this device?
Depending on the brand and its product the minimum duration for a rangefinder on a fully charged battery lasts six hours with a maximum of eight hours.
The two metrics of a perfect object is an ideal combination of range and accuracy, and considering both metrics, Leupold Gx 5i3 Rangefinder, and Bozily Golf Rangefinder is the two that comes to our minds. But how do we choose the best? The precise answer is to compare and contrast these two with key metrics.
- Ease of Use: Leupold Gx 5i3 offers a neck strap that allows users to wear it as binoculars, whereas the Bozily Golf Rangefinder is lightweight enough to carry on the palm of their hands.
- iDistance: Bozily is a comparatively, an unknown brand that wants to be relevant by offering the maximum yardages. This device has a maximum distance limit of 1200 yards, which is not even the highest of their product. Despite that, it offers fifty percent more distance than the Leupold flagship rangefinder. What is more important, however, is the distance that offers absolute clarity and precision. In this case, the Gx5i3 stands ahead of Bozily, and with Pin Hunter 3 Laser Technology, it offers the finest accuracy ever.
- Battery: Both the Gx 5i3 a Bozily is powered with CR2 lithium battery, a powerful on that is not easily accessible in the market. Bozily is a clear winner in this segment due to their stare of the art USB charging. When the batteries are hard to find, having a feature that offers to charge anytime and anywhere is a blessing to be taken.
- Display: Leupold 5xGi3 offers Prism Lock technology with a clear vision but has a red display, and at times red display causes distraction, especially in unfavorable weather. Both of them have six times zoom, but Bozily has four different modes, each of them are ideal in a specific situation. If you are training, go for Mode 1, for tournament mode 2, and for measuring slopes and distances, go to modes 3 and 4.Bozily Golf Rangefinder won three of four rounds, but it’s not about how many rounds they have won, rather who offered the knockout punch, and clearly Leupold Gx 5i3 has done that with their accuracy level. But the battle has been a close contest, While Leupold’s flagship device stands out as our pick, not many can afford it due to its pricing. Bozily has every chance to cash in on those customers because it has every feature that can attract both amateurs and professional golfers.
Rangefinders are the only tool that is considered as a lifesaver for golfing, Golf is considered a traditionally boring sport by some, and rangefinders revolutionized golfing from creating fun to increasing their level of skill set. Unlike earlier generation golfers, rangefinders helped the modern golfers identifying their strengths and weakness of this game and hone their skills accordingly. But when buying rangefinders, it is important to know what they want from this. It is a framework for better golfing, but will not automatically make users play like Tiger Woods or Phi Mickelson, because it’s illegal to carry it on the tournament. But with a bit of user effort, their skills will be sharpened, and it will increase by buying the right ones