Well, giving the correct answer to this question is not possible. According to a survey from 2015, it is estimated that there were more than 15,500 golf courses around the U.S. The whole U.S. golf courses consist of the more significant portion of the global golf courses or fields. The total number of golf courses in the U.S. are plenty. If we look back to 2012, there were 12,000 golf courses in total, and from the report of 2015, it increases to 15,500. According to the NGF (National Golf Foundation), almost 26.88 million Americans are playing golf. So now golf is not a seasonal game, it becomes the regular game.
Golf courses owners
The states own most of the golf courses. Those are known as public golf courses. The city of the town management manages general golf courses. And the private golf course owner can be any private company or authority. Not everyone can access the golf grounds. Only the golfer and the people who have their membership can enter into the golf courses.
Among all the golf courses, I’m going to present some best golf courses in the U.S.
Top-rated public golf courses in the United States
- Pebble Beach Golf Links, Pebble Beach, California: It is one of the most beautiful golf courses in the world, which is on the west coast. It is famous for its beautiful green environment, facilities, and features. It was established in 1919. The length of the Pebble Beach Golf courses is 7,040 yards (6,437 m), and it has a total of 18 holes. It hosts many championships, especially the famous tournaments. It hosted the major championship (U.S. Open) six times. Huge people come to the resort and enjoy the competitions.
- Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, Pacific Dunes, Oregon: Bandon Dunes Golf Resort is an elaborate golf resort. It has four golf courses. The first one is Bandon Dunes, which established in 1999. The length of Bandon Dunes is 7,212 yards. The second golf course is Pacific Dunes, which opened in 2001, and the range of this Course is 6,633 yards. The third golf course is Bandon Trails, which opened in 2005, and the length of this golf ground is 6,788 yards. And the fourth and last golf ground is Old Macdonald, which opened in 2010, and its range is 6,944 yards. This golf resort hosts the big tournaments.
- Bethpage Black, Farmingdale, New York: Bethpage Black Course is the public golf course established in 1936, and it has a total of 18 holes. The length of this golf course is 7,468 yards (6,829 m). It hosted the major championships.
- Whistling Straits, Sheboygan, Wisconsin: Whistling Straits is a luxury public golf resort established in 1998. It has two golf courses. The first one is the Straits Course, which has 18 holes, and its length is 7,790 yards or 7,123 m. the other is the Irish Course, which has 18 holes, and its range is 7,201 yards or 6,585 m. The American Club operates this golf resort. It hosted the PGA Championship three times.
- Kiawah Island Resort, Kiawah Island, South California: Kiawah Island Resort, established in 1974. It is located in South California. It has five golf courses in total.
- Ocean Course is the most significant golf ground among the five. Its length is 7873 yards or 7199 m. It hosts the most significant events in golf.
- Turtle Point is another golf ground in the Kiawah Island Resort which length is 7061 yards or 6457 m. It hosts the local golf tournaments.
- Osprey Point’s range is 6932 yards.
- Oak Point golf course’s length is 6,127 m or 6,701 yards.
- Cougar Point is the last golf field in Kiawah Island, and its length is 6,875 yards.
6. Harbor Town Golf Links – Hilton Head Island, South Carolina: Harbor Town Golf Links is in the Eastern U.S. It is one of the most beautiful public golf grounds. It established in 1967, and it has a total of 18 holes. It estimates that every year almost 38,000 rounds are played in this golf course. Harbor Town golf links host the PGA Championships.
First-rated private golf fields in the U.S
There have almost 4,415 private golf courses in the U.S. Among them some best courses are-
- Pine Valley Golf Club, New Jersey: As Pine Valley is a private golf club, so it has some unique architectural design that attracts visitors and golfers. It established in 1913, and it has 18 holes. The length of this golf course is 7181 yards. Only the members and guests of the members can access the club. It hosts the professional golf tournaments. It also hosted the Walker Cup in 1936 and 1985.
- Augusta National Golf Club, Georgia: Augusta National Golf Club is one of the most exclusive and famous golf clubs in the world. The beauty of this golf club attracts everyone. This golf course is suitable for all types of golfer, but if you are a beginner, then you must play carefully. It is established in 1933, almost 87 years ago. The length of this golf club is 7,768 yards or 7,103 m and a total of 18 holes. It started hosting the Masters Tournaments from 1934 to till now.
- Oakmont Country Club: Oakmont Country Club is one of the oldest and top-ranked private golf clubs. It established in 1903, almost 117 years ago. It has 18 holes in total, and its length is 7254 yards. It hosts significant and prestigious golf tournaments. Its design is unique.
- Pinehurst Resort, Pinehurst, North Carolina: Pinehurst Resort is a significant private golf ground that contains nine golf grounds together. It established in 1895. Pinehurst Resort has 162 holes in total and hosts the most prestigious golf tournaments. Among nine courses, the most prominent Course is the second one which length is 7,565 yards or 6,917 m. and it is the most beautiful golf course that the visitor and golfers like the most.
- Sand Hills Golf Club: Sand Hills Golf Club is one of the most exclusive golf clubs in the United States. It established in 1994, and it has 18 holes. The length of this golf course is 7,089 yards. The design of this golf ground is unique, and the company spent $1.2 million to build this golf club.
- Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, New York: Shinnecock Hills Golf Club is another oldest golf club which is established in 1891 (129 years ago). It has 18 holes in total, and the length is 7,440 yards (6,800 m). It hosted the U.S. Open five times, Walker Cup, U.S. Women’s Amateur, and U.S. Amateur.
- The Los Angeles Country Golf Club: The Los Angeles Country Club is in the Western U.S., and it established in 1987 (123 years ago). It has 36 holes in total and divided into two parts North course and South course. The length of the north course is 7,200 yards (6,600 m), and the par is 70. It hosts national and international golf events. It will host the U.S. Open in 2023.
- Merion Golf Club: Merion Golf Club is another most popular private golf club in the U.S. It has two different courses one is East course, and the other is West course. The East course established in 1912, and its length is 6,846 yards, and the West course established in 1914, and its range is 5,989 yards. The total holes of the Merion Golf Club are 36. It hosts the U.S. Open, U.S. Amateur, U.S. Women’s Amateur, U.S. Girls Juniors, etc.
Both the public and private golf courses provide the best facilities that a player needs, and that’s why this game boomed out throughout the country.